Well, now that the dust has settled on the excitement triggered by Reliance Jio 4G, it is time to take stock of their tariff plans which will be applicable from 1 January 2017. For now, consumers can avail the Welcome Preview offer, and those on the Jio Preview offer will also be shifted to it from 5 September onwards.
But the biggest thing worth talking here are the plans – both prepaid as well postpaid that Reliance has rolled for its Jio 4G service.
And after taking a closer look at them, we can definitely say that they might be cheaper than the Airtel or Vodafone, but not by too big a margin. You can take a look at what Jio has to offer over here.
Rs 50/GB for Jio 4G Internet Comes at a Cost
The Chairman of Reliance Industries announced that Jio 4G plans will allow users to buy 1GB data for as low as Rs 50. But he clearly forgot to tell us that the data offer is only applicable for those who end up exhausting their Wi-Fi usage limit. Also, the use of WiFi under this plan works if you are on the public WiFI hotspots of Reliance.
This means that the Rs 50/GB doesn’t apply on mobile data charges. For that, you’ll have to spend a minimum of Rs 151 for 1GB, as seen here.
Free Unlimited SMS? No!
There was also a mention about how users with Reliance Jio can make unlimited number of calls, and send as many SMS as they want. But the truth is completely different from that.
Some More Things to Know:
- Voice calls are completely free – no charge towards voice calls or the data used to make 4G voice calls
- “Unlimited at Night” pertains to data used between 2 am and 5 am
- Wi-Fi data benefits in the plans pertain to Wi-Fi data availed in the Public Wi-Fi hotspots of RJIL
- The subscribers can avail the above plans effective from 1 January 2017
- The data used by the consumers for Jio applications, video calls and other content available on the Internet would be uniformly debited against plan data allocation
- Unutilised free benefits will be forfeited at the end of validity.
- The prepaid packs with denominations Rs19, Rs129 and Rs 299 cannot be availed as a First recharge by new subscribers
You Will Not Always Get 4G Speeds
As the above post highlights, Jio 4G has a daily limit of 4GB, after which users will be getting speeds of 128 Kbps for unlimited data.
Interestingly, Reliance wants consumers to do a zero value online recharge to avail the ‘Welcome’ offer benefits for up to 31 December 2016. Nobody knows the reason for that, and frankly it sounds absurd, if they want everyone to do that.
Pay to Use Jio Apps on Prepaid Plans
Some More Things You Should Know
JioFi portable device is now selling for Rs 1,999 bundled with a Jio 4G SIM. This device offers 4G internet to those who own a 2G/3G device right now.
Jio’s so-called night unlimited 4G data plan is only applicable between 2 am and 5 am.