PAN-Aadhaar linking deadline: For those who are yet to link their PAN(PAN CARD) with Aadhaar, there is good news for them as the deadline has been extended till June 30.
However, the earlier deadline(to link PAN with Aadhar) was March 31, 2020, But the Finance Ministry on 24 March 2020 took the decision to extend the Aadhar-PAN linking date amid Coronavirus lockdown.
For those who are yet to link their PAN with Aadhaar, this extension will come as a relief as not linking the two will lead to the PAN becoming ‘inoperative’, as per current income tax laws.
Why Aadhar-PAN linking is Important
- It is mandatory for all citizens to have linked Aadhar-PAN
- The Supreme Court (SC) has allowed linking of PAN with Aadhaar while reading out its verdict on the constitutional validity of Aadhaar. The apex court also said that quoting Aadhaar number is mandatory to file an income tax return (ITR) and for applying for a new PAN.
- If you do not link your PAN with your Aadhaar, then your PAN will become inoperative
- According to chartered accountants, an individual cannot file his/her ITR without linking the two first.
If you don’t want to register yourself at the e-filing website, there is another way using which you can link your PAN and Aadhaar. A hyperlink has been provided at the homepage of the e-filing website and also on the income tax website http://incometaxindia.gov.in/Pages/default.aspx.
Just click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ on the e-filing website. A new form will appear where you are required to enter details – PAN, Aadhaar number, Name as per Aadhaar.
If your Aadhaar card has the only year of birth, then you must also tick the option: ‘I have the only year of birth in Aadhaar card’
Enter the captcha code and click on submit. Once submitted successfully, a message will be displayed on your screen showing your PAN is successfully linked to Aadhaar.
Linking PAN with Aadhaar by sending an SMS
The PAN can be linked with the Aadhaar number by sending an SMS to 567678 or 56161 from the registered mobile number. In order to do so, you need to type UIDPAN<12-digit Aadhaar><10-digit PAN> and send it.
- For example, if your Aadhaar number is 111122223333 and PAN is AAAPA9999Q. Then you are required to send SMS to 567678 or 56161 as UIDPAN 111122223333 AAAPA9999Q
For this, You have to visit the service center of PAN service provider, NSDL or UTIITSL. You will be required to fill in the form ‘Annexure-I’ along with the supporting documents i.e. copy of PAN card and Aadhaar card.
For any correction in the PAN details, the fee charged is Rs 110. On the other hand, for correcting Aadhaar details, the prescribed fee is Rs 25.
The post PAN-Aadhaar linking Key Points: Know the latest alerts, Importance and Process to Apply appeared first on Updated You.